Look around, and you’ll see green slogans everywhere. The web is full of information on going green, living green and advice on personal sustainability.For many, this mountain of information can be confusing and at times a little overwhelming.
In fact, this Practical Plan refers to overwhelm and its affect on our ability to make choices. It states, “The more numerous our options, the more difficult it becomes to choose a single one, and so we end up choosing none at all. That’s what happens when we have too many things to do. We become overwhelmed and don’t do any of them.”
Navigating the green waters starts with getting clear on what it means to be green. Is it living off the grid? Living in a green house? Working at a green job? What exactly does it mean to be green to you?
Everyone has a different idea of what green living is. It’s interesting to notice that as we embrace one aspect of green living, more and more opportunities to include green choices in other areas of our lives become available. One fun aspect of considering sustainability in our life choices is the process of defining and creating a green lifestyle that works. Discover the different ways of being green, and see what fits for you. To explore:
- What can be recycled and what cannot! Can you recycle paint? Hair? Crayons? Find out here. Better yet, discover recycling centers near your home by visiting Earth911.
- The rewarding sensation of volunteering in your community. Not sure where to start? Visit VolunteerMatch and enter your zip code and area of interest to find a perfect volunteer match.
- Cycling as part of a sustainable lifestyle and as a rewarding personal adventure. Explore health, environmental, and cost saving reasons for biking to work and pick out your favorite resources to help you do it.
- A new shade of organic makeup, just in time for the fall.
- Ways to decorate the eco friendly way with eco friendly materials, paints, and plants.
- Ways to green your routine. Pick a different day of the week to take eco action on different sustainability concepts. The thrill is in changing habits on a daily basis. Need ideas? Visit here.
Through our daily living, we are presented with opportunities to expand our awareness and make informed choices. Being conscious of sustainability contributes to living a greener lifestyle – a lifestyle that you define as green and works for you.
Julie Urlaub is Founder & Managing Partner of Taiga Company, a sustainability consulting firm located in Houston, Texas dedicated to accelerating the integration of sustainability concepts in business. Today, Julie speaks, writes, and advises clients on a variety of issues related to the intersection between environmental stewardship, and sustainable business practices. Her writing has been featured in SocialYell’s Corporate Advice, the GreenEcomonyPost, the Business Exchange and, the ThinkGreenAlliance. Connect with Taiga Company on Facebook and Twitter. Also Find Julie on LinkedIn.